Have you tried the traditional Zimbabwean dish, Dovi?
This spicy vegetable peanut stew is everything!
Here's a healthy take on this favourite:
- 2 tsp Butter.
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped.
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced and crushed.
- 1 tsp salt.
- 1/2 tsp pepper.
- 1 chili pepper, seeded, minced.
- 1 chicken, cut in serving pieces.
- 2 green bell peppers, cored, seeded, chopped.
- 3 to 4 tomatoes, cored, coarsely chopped.
- 2 cups water.
- 6 tsp smooth peanut butter.
- 250g spinach.
Melt butter in a large stew pot over moderate heat; add onions, sauté until golden.
Add garlic, salt, pepper and hot pepper. Stir fry 3 minutes; add bell peppers and chicken.
Fry until chicken browns on all sides.
Mix mashed tomatoes into the stew, along with the water. cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
Thin the peanut butter with a few tbs of hot broth from the pot.
Add half of the peanut paste to the stew; continue simmering until chicken is well done.